A good number of people of all ages are suffering from eye problems. Laser surgery is considered to be an amazing solution that is offered to eligible patients across the globe including India. During its initial introduction, people were skeptical regarding its effects and results. The reason eyes are one of the most sensitive organs in the body and hence, proper care and treatment will be desired.
About SMILE eye surgery
It is considered to be a keyhole laser eye correction surgery. Femtosecond Laser is used for correction purposes. It is also called Refractive Lenticule Extraction (ReLex). FDA approved this surgical procedure in 2012. Being a minimally invasive procedure, it can treat astigmatism effectively with a cylindrical power of about 5 Diopters. The age eligibility limit to undergo the treatment is 18-40 years.
Advanced vision surgery
People still are worried about the effects of eye surgery. SMILE surgery is considered to be a cutting-edge, innovative technology that corrects short-sightedness accurately. SMILE means ‘Small Incision Lenticule Extraction’. This bladeless procedure is regarded to be minimally invasive and offered to people with/without astigmatism. It is also a wonderful alternative to manual procedures.
· First, the surgeon administers anesthetic drops in the eyes to numb the region, thus making the treatment completely painless.
· Laser is then used for placing several pulses with great precision on the cornea’s centre part.
· Pulses emerging from the laser develop tiny bubbles in microns. Such bubbles can help develop tissue outline that needs to be removed.
· Tiny connecting tunnel is created using a laser, thereby allowing the surgeon in drawing the tissue out. It changes cornea shape, thereby improving vision.
It is a wrong belief that it is a complicated procedure and might take a long time to complete. But the truth is that the entire procedure can be completed for both eyes within 15 minutes! Laser is used only for a small time. On successful completion of the treatment, most people have reported vision improvement within a few hours. Vision restored is about 80% better and within a few weeks reaches 100% improvement.
Issues to consider
One minor aspect to understand is that this surgery ensures quick recovery. However, in a few instances, vision can be slightly blurred temporarily after the operation. It is quite normal. A qualified surgeon can tackle such minor inconveniences and offer appropriate remedies. Availing SMILE surgery is indeed an excellent option if you seek to do away with short-sightedness.
Reasons SMILE surgery is the best available option
· SMILE is considered to be a Nobel Prize-winning medical technology with Nobel Prize being given in 2018 in Physics.
· Flap-related issues do not exist since it is regarded to be a flapless procedure. After completion of the surgery, the eye is placed in a comfortable position.
· This laser eye surgery is minimally invasive thus, being suitable for treatment when compared to LASEK and LASIK. It is beneficial to those not advised to undertake other eye surgery types.
· SMILE is swift. The total treatment time required to finish the procedure is under 15 minutes! The total laser time is only 22 seconds.
· Smile laser eye surgery in Delhi is more stable and offers precise results. It is also affordable allowing common people to avail it without financial worries.
· Patients will experience less dry eyes after this procedure than what is experienced after LASIK surgery since the flap is not present that needs healing.
Smile Eye Surgery is usually completed within half an hour. However, you need to take a few post-surgical precautions.
· Avoid self-driving after the surgery when going back home as you may experience low visibility resulting from the surgical procedure.
· Relax or take a small nap immediately after reaching home. It will help prevent unwanted eye strains.
· You can resume your regular activities only after complete vision restoration which is around a week after the surgery.
· Use doctor-prescribed eye drops on time. It will provide relief to your eyes and allow you to derive better results.
Side effects of undergoing SMILE eye surgery
Does it result in any side effects? Complications and side effects are reported by some eye patients. But this percentage is very less. Taking adequate precautions can help overcome them. Some side effects are as follows:
· Double Vision (diplopia): In this type, objects tend to appear like ghost images. It results from mismanagement occurring between image receptors. Severe double vision-related issues require follow-up procedures to derive correction.
· Night vision issues: Similar to other laser eye surgical forms conducted, SMILE surgery also has night vision-related side effects. Few patients have reported halos and glare from bright light during nighttime. To tackle such issues, night lenses will need to be used.
· Near vision difficulty: It is considered to be a commonly occurring side effect. A few simple home exercises prescribed by the surgeon can help derive relief and proper treatment.
Benefits derived from SMILE treatment
· Quick recovery: This surgical procedure has offered fast recovery times. However, SMILE offers even better recovery. Patients mostly find their vision to improve after the surgery. It is possible to resume regular activities within 1-2 days after undergoing the surgery.
· Fast treatment: SMILE treatment can be completed within 15 minutes on each eye. Moreover, the laser is used for a small time. It is undoubtedly the best solution for patients having reservations or concerns about availing of laser therapy.
· Low complication risks: Laser eye surgery or LASIK surgery is considered to be the safest vision procedure. However, ReLex SMILE is the most popular one. The reason is due to complications and risks. Also, experiencing side effects like dry eyes is also less.
· Better stability: The procedure involves creating a small incision in the corneal tissue. The flap is not created. Besides better recovery times, it also promotes better cornea stability. Less evasive surgery ensures deriving better results.
Select a good surgeon for the best results
To ensure deriving the best results from the surgery, you need to seek the best surgeon in the region having enough niche experience. He/she should assure safe procedure, faster recovery times, and fewer complications.